The Shed

One of the joys of working part time is that you have time to do stuff other people don’t. You don’t have the money to do much with that time so you end up building things instead of buying them.

I spent the past month building a shed. The one that came with the house was the usual crappy, bought off the shelf, wooden number that had a hole in the roof and most of the timbers were rotting.

With the advice of our friendly tall Scotsman I figured I could have a go at something a bit better.

First off the original shed needed dismantled

IMG_2568

Lorraine enjoyed this bit as you can tell. This was how we spend our wedding anniversary. A family that dismantles sheds together stays together.

IMG_2569

We were left with this base that I dragged across the garden and converted into a temporary “tee pee” to hold all the stuff till the new shed was built.

IMG_2570

Next step was clearing the ground so I could put down hardcore and a concrete base. This was probably the hardest bit of the job but very much worth it.

IMG_2579

Jurgen lent me his “mattock” from his gardening days and that made the job a million times easier. There were blisters as you can imagine. There was also some help from the other 2

IMG_2580

IMG_2587

Next came the hardcore, nearly 3 tonnes had to be wheelbarrowed from front of the house to the back and then spread out evenly under Martha’s expert supervision

IMG_2588

Speaking of Martha, most of the timbers used in building the shed were pulled out of the walls of her house when she was getting it refurbished. Waste not want not, though I did have to spend an awful lot of time with a crow bar and angle grinder removing all the old nails.

IMG_2581

 

I had watched a lot of youtube series on making sheds by this point so i felt fairly confident. Though there a lot of plans drawn and re drawn and even resorted to having to  look up terms such as hypotenuse in order to work out all the angles involved

IMG_2596

Me and Jurg hired a plate compacted and a cement mixer and in went the base

IMG_2665

This dried fairly nicely and smoothly and then it was time to start building the different frames that would be bolted to the concrete to form the walls of the shed.

IMG_2680

IMG_2681

IMG_2684

IMG_2690

It took ages getting the ground prepared and doing the concrete. Putting the frames together and connecting them took about 2 hrs in the end.

Next came the roof sections. These were kind of tricky and it took a few goes to get the angles quite right as I didn’t really have anything to measure them by. Not ideal I know but it worked out pretty well in the end

IMG_2695

 

These were then fairly easily lifted onto the walls of the shed and secured

IMG_2704

 

There had been some initial debate as to whether to put a felt roof on or a steel one. The steel one was undoubtedly the better job and bizzarely actually worked out cheaper than the felt one. I confess I hadn’t much of a clue what I was doing with the steel and it took me a while to figure out the best way to connect all the different sections. There was also the breathable membrane that needed fitted before the steel too.

IMG_2705

IMG_2707

IMG_2708

There’s a little bit of silicone between each piece to try and make it a bit more water tight

IMG_2706

The final bit i needed for the roof was a custom made ridge piece that went on top.

IMG_2715

IMG_2765

The walls came unpainted from a saw mill down the road. Once these were painted they were easily fitted to the frame.

IMG_2715

IMG_2716

 

I had to leave space for windows and in the photo below you can hopefully see the little frame I made to hold the glass (preserved from the original shed)

IMG_2720

IMG_2811

This is the (pretty much) finished product. There’s just a little bit of touching up to be done to the paint. Ultimately I’m going to put a walk in lean to on the right hand side of the shed for the bikes to be kept under as it’s a pain the bum taking them in and out of the shed all the time.

IMG_2813

As liz says a few hanging baskets on the side should finish it a treat. incidentally the door of the shed is actually the front door off the house as we replaced it. I went through nice new circular saw blade trying to cut out the frame too…

At the minute I’m starting to organise the contents and fit some work benches (which are left over from the original kitchen of the house).

IMG_2766IMG_2819

All in all a fun job for a 16 by 8 ft shed that’s probably better put together than the extension that came with the house…

Costs

  • Steel roof €160
  • Shiplaps for walls €390
  • Timber €80
  • Screws €40
  • Concrete floor €200
  • Paint €40
Advertisements

About

August 2014
M T W T F S S
« Apr   Sep »
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

%d bloggers like this: